LASC SPRING MEETING
at the home of Jack and Diane Criste
Chuck and Floy Pease, Glenn Runge, Tom Westman, Dave and Vicki MacDonald, Jack and Diane Criste, Sean Stull, Deb and Mike Vey, Scott and Janet Mullins, Dave Haberman, Donna Hamilton
Minutes from the Captain’s Mug meeting in September were read, accepted and approved. (Diane/Tom)
Report was presented by Scott Mullins. Report was approved. It was noted that Scott Mullins will handle the filing of non-profit tax forms.
BY-LAW CHANGE PROPOSAL
A motion was made to change the voting for club officers to take place at the fall Captain’s Mug meeting due to the low attendance of the spring meeting. New officers will then take their positions effective January 1st of the next year. (Sean/Dave M.)
The possibility of a change to the by-laws was researched and it was confirmed that a change to the by-laws can be voted on at the annual business meeting. The following changes to the by-laws were proposed to read as follows:
Article 6, NOMINATIONS AND ELECTIONS, Section 1 & 2. Article 6.1 NOMINATIONS AND ELECTION OF OFFICERS AND BOARD MEMBERS. The club members shall elect the Officers and Board of Directors at the FALL business meeting. Voting shall be by a simple majority of votes cast. Ballots shall be tabulated by any club member not seeking office. Nominations of Officers and Board Members shall be made from the floor by a member in good standing. Voting shall be by written ballots. Officers and Executive Board Members are permitted to run for consecutive terms of office.
Article 6.2, DATE OF ELECTION. The LASC members shall elect the Officers and Board of Directors at the annual FALL meeting which shall be held in September. The Officers and Board of Directors shall begin their respective terms effective January 1 following the September election.
The motion to change the wording of the by-laws was voted on and approved.
The new website, www.lakearthursailingclub.org, is up and running. A demonstration was presented by Dave Haberman and Scott Mullins. The website contains both a public section and a private section available to club members only. Dave and Scott are looking for additional content to be placed on the site.
Currently, Dave and Scott are looking to include:
- Club activity calendar with the possibility of RSVP responses.
- Provide links to other sailing-related websites.
- Provide current weather conditions.
- Room for random blogging
- Possibility of a section for sale of boats, equipment, etc., for a small fee.
Administrators: Dave Haberman, Scott Mullins and Chuck Pease
According to the responses received, the #1 liked activity is the Soup/Chili/Captain’s Mug night. Boat racing appears to have the least interest.
A proposed activity schedule was presented. Discussion ensued concerning the Captain’s Mug. The Moraine Outdoor Center, where our dinner has been held, is expected to be torn down. We will be looking for another location to hold the Captain’s Mug/Fall meeting. McDaniel’s pavilion was suggested. Chuck and Floy will investigate this. If you have any suggestions of a venue for this event, please see Chuck Pease.
ELECTION OF OFFICERS
The following officers and board members were elected:
- Treasurer – Scott Mullins (Diane/Sean)
- Secretary – Diane Criste (Glenn/Deb V)
- Board Members:
- Deb Vey (Diane/Dave M)
- Dave MacDonald (Jack/Janet)
- Sean Stull (Floy/Dave M)
ATTRACTING NEW MEMBERS
Strategies to attract new members was brainstormed:
- Website – the site will appear on a Google Search. A flyer will be placed on the marina bulletin board.
- Business Cards – possibility of ordering LASC business cards containing the website info and contact information.
- Active Facebook Page – The page itself would be a “closed group” page, and would have limited visibility to the public.
- Regatta – possibility of sending a representative to attend the Regatta Committee meeting with an offer of free boat rides. Also a possibility of having a booth set up with the South Shore Regatta activities.
DEADLINE FOR THE PAYMENT OF THE CURRENT YEAR’S DUES WILL BE THE PANCAKE BREAKFAST.
Dave MacDonald is trying to get approval to purchase a second cabinet for the storage of club utensils.
A motion to close the meeting at 3:10 PM. (Tom W/Glenn)
Minutes taken by Donna Hamilton – Club Secretary